Tuesday 10 February 2015

"Shanghai" Fried Noodles

When I'm at work, and I don't have a lunch or supper.. it's actually a disappointment that I have to eat at a restaurant.. The choices are horrible and there's not much variety. On one of those dreaded days where I had no supper, I ventured off in hopes of finding something reasonably healthy and not too pricey. After about 15 minutes of walking back and forth between counters, I finally stopped at what I think is Chinese, or Japanese... but let's just say Asian because I can't be sure. I ordered some Shanghai noodles and although it's really not that healthy, I was impressed to say the least. I'm not one for stir fry's or soy sauce but this really was good( just like everything that's not good for us!). I was determined to find a recipe so I can make it at home. To my dismay, Pinterest had nothing when I typed in Shanghai noodles, but googling gave me a base line of what I needed and so from there, I created my own recipe! I'm pretty proud because even the kids gobbeled it up and that makes me a happy mum!
Unfortunately, I don't have a photo but I found this that looks similar to it. The next time I make some, I'll take a picture of it and post it :)


 "Shanghai" Fried Noodles

Chow mein noodles, boiled til tender but still a bit hard. DO NOT over boil!
1 T hoisin sauce
1 T soy sauce
1 T peanut or avocado oil
1 T sesame oil
1/2 t fresh garlic, minced
1/2 t fresh ginger, minced
1 t green onions, finely chopped
Bunch of kale or spinach, finely chopped
1/4 onion, thinly sliced
Bunch of bean sprouts
Optional: mushrooms, broccoli, chicken, egg, carrots, cabbage. (Go wild!!)

In a large skillet on med-low, heat peanut/avocado oil then add garlic, ginger, green onion, onions, bean sprouts and kale. Cook until tender and kale is slightly wilted.
Turn up heat to med-high and add cooked noodles, soy sauce, hoisin sauce and sesame oil to skillet. Using a pair of tongs, mix together while coating everything with the sauce. Cook until noodles are browned and slightly crispy. Toss occasionally (using the tongs) to brown evenly and watch so it doesn't burn.

Serve and enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment