Wednesday 28 January 2015

Everything Coconut

I absolutely LOOVEE coconut. No words can truly express that. I find myself surrounded by things coconut today, strangely enough!
Last night I was lying in my bed pinning and googling until the wee hours of the morning a reasonable hour and I stumbled upon natural remedies for cavity prevention or pain relief due to cavities. It definitely made me curious! It's called oil pulling. Basically you take 2 teaspoons of coconut oil in your mouth and swoosh it around your teeth. This site here explains more in detail how and why it works and how to do it, but I'll also add in a quick pic from the site below.
I also suggest reading a little bit about Phytic Acid here, this also has an impact on our teeth and we consume it probably everyday if you're eating grains!


It's said to do this every morning for 15-20 minutes... well that's not gonna happen, for me at least and I'm sure most people wouldn't do it for that long either so apparently 3-5 minutes is ok. I still find that long but as they say (I always find myself asking who they are!) you can swish and swoosh while you're getting ready and doing your morning routine. I honestly tried it this morning but I also knew it was going to drip out and leak on my shirt. Soooo.... I put on my sons bib! hahaha my daughter looked at me as if I had 3 eyes, but it kept my shirt stain free!
After I oil pulled, and brushed my teeth, I applied my EOS coconut lip balm. Mmmmmm.
I'm addicted to lip balm, I can't stay away from it and I've got a billion of them lying around. Half of which I'm not even sure where they've gone to.

( Picked up some more shredded coconut to make some more energy bites! ... why do I get so excited over coconut!? )

I stopped at the pharmacy on my way home and as I walked to the cash I noticed a Lindt bag which stood out like a sore thumb because it's my favourite blue!
Lo and behold, COCONUT CHOCOLATE.. So much for my oil pull!

Here's a recipe for a Chocolate Coconut Cake I got from this site

Chocolate Cake:
  • 1½ cups almond flour
  • ½ cup raw cacao powder
  • ½ cup raw coconut palm sugar
  • ⅛ teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs, room temperature
  • ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
  • ⅓ cup coconut milk, full fat
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Coconut Layer:
  • 1½ cups unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1 tablespoon raw honey
  • ⅓ cup almond flour
  • ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
  • ¼ cup coconut milk, full fat
Chocolate Glaze: (I ended up omitting this part as I found it made it too sweet) 
  • ½ cup 70% dark chocolate
  • ½ cup coconut milk, full fat

Directions:
Chocolate Cake:
-prepare your pan by lightly greasing the bottom and sides of an 8-inch removable bottom pan with coconut oil, then cut a piece of parchment paper and place it on the bottom of the pan
-mix together the almond flour, cacao powder, coconut palm sugar and salt
-in a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, coconut oil, coconut milk and vanilla extract
-using a rubber spatula, gently mix dry and wet ingredients together. Mix just until ingredients are combined, being careful not to over mix the batter
-spread batter evenly in the pan and bake at 350°F until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, approximately 17 minutes
-set pan over a wire rack to allow cake to cool
Coconut Layer:
-mix all ingredients for the coconut layer together until everything is well combined
-spread the mixture over the top of the cooled cake in an even layer, then freeze for 10 minutes
Chocolate Glaze:
-slowly melt the dark chocolate in a bowl over simmering water (double boiler)
once chocolate is melted, stir in the coconut milk and mix until the glaze is smooth and shiny
-pour glaze evenly over the top of the cake
-refrigerate for about 2 hours or until the glaze is set. 

No comments:

Post a Comment